2 types of permissions are provided as per Sharjah Municipality
Sharjah: The Sharjah authorities have published licences and regulations for restaurants operating during the holy month of Ramadan. According to the Sharjah Municipality, there are two different types of permissions.
One is for restaurants, including those inside shopping malls, to display food preparation and presentation during the day. This permission costs Dh3,000.
The second permit is to spread out refreshments/snacks in front of restaurants right before Iftar, the meal with which Muslims break their fast around sundown. This permission costs Dh500.
The Sharjah Municipality’s food control department counter is located in the Suburbs Affairs Department, Industrial Area 5 and is open to restaurant owners and managers who wish to apply for licences.
General rules for food presentation throughout the holy month have also been released by the municipality.
For restaurants open during the day:
- The dining room is off-limits to customers.
- Only kitchens are permitted for food preparation and cooking.
To display food outside:
- Food may be displayed by restaurants on the pavement in front of their premises.
- A closed glass box with a door that slides or hinges must be used to showcase food (at least 100cm high).
- Snacks must be stored in stainless steel containers.
- Food must be wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminium foil.
- Restaurants need to keep the snacks at the right temperature.